Wednesday, December 26, 2012

DEAD RADIANCE by T.G. Ayer

Title: Dead Radiance

Series: Valkyrie #1
Author: T.G. Ayer


Summary

The first book in a trilogy, Dead Radiance focuses on Bryn Halbrook, a foster-child whose best friend has just died.  In the days leading up to Joshua's death, Bryn had begun to notice a glow form around him, and it grew stronger each day until the car crash that took his life.  Bryn has seen the glow all of her life, but it isn't until Joshua dies that she realizes that people begin to glow right before they die.

When her foster mother takes in a boy named Aidan, Bryn's life begins to change.  Aidan is mysterious and has a weird fascination with Norse mythology, and is the first person Bryn trusts her secret to.  Then, when Aidan disappears and leaves behind the book he was translating, Bryn becomes obsessed with finishing his translation, only to discover that there are things about her own story that she never knew.

My Impression

I really loved this book.  I am a huge fan of mythology, and though I don't know a lot about Norse mythology, this book definitely sparked my interest.  In the world of the book, all of the Norse gods exist, but there are some differences between the myths we know and the truth behind the myths.  I thought the original spin on the mythology was very clever and allowed this book to really provide the reader with something new, despite their level of familiarity with Norse myth.

That being said, it was really easy to become attached to Bryn and her tragedy: that she knows when the people she loves are about to die, and yet she is powerless to save them.  Her adventure was thrilling and as I found myself trying to predict what would happen next in the book, I was consistently wrong, which made the story that more intriguing. 

Why I Picked Up This Book

I first came upon Dead Radiance while looking at Maria V. Snyder''s recent activity on Goodreads.  Since I love her writing, I followed the link and began to read about this book by T.G. Ayer...I was immediately interested.  After waiting the few weeks for the book to finally be released, and then waiting for Amazon to deliver my book (since neither Barnes & Noble or Hastings had the book in their records), I was finally able to read the book.

Genres: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Mythology, Romance

My Rating: Five Stars 



No comments:

Post a Comment