Thursday, December 27, 2012

DARK FROST by Jennifer Estep

Title: Dark Frost

Series: Mythos Academy #3

Author: Jennifer Estep


Summary

It's the beginning of her second semester at Mythos Academy and Gwen already has a lot on her plate. 

Nike has charged her with recovering the Helheim Dagger, an artifact that Gwen's mother was charged with protecting from the Reapers of Chaos.  Gwen has spent most of her winter break searching through her mom's belongings with the hope that her touch magic will reveal some clue about the dagger's location. 

When Gwen and some fellow second year students are attacked by the Reapers of Chaos, Gwen finally meets Loki's Champion.  Though the Champion is masked, Gwen has bigger things to worry about than the Champion's true identity.  The Reapers have a lead on the dagger's location, and if they find it before Gwen does, then they hold the power to break the last seal on Loki's prison and start the Second Chaos War.

My Impressions

I think this is my favorite book in the series so far.  Though I really enjoyed Touch of Frost and Kiss of Frost, it feels like those two books have really led up to the events of this book.  Touch of Frost seemed to mostly be about convincing Gwen that the gods do exist and that Loki and his Reapers are determined to bring Chaos back into the world; it was also the book that clearly sets Gwen up to face off against Loki by becoming Nike's Champion.  Kiss of Frost was mostly about Gwen's developing friendships and developing powers; instead of her being just a "Gypsy girl", she gets to discover more of what her touch magic can really do.  It also really sets up her main motivation for wanting to defeat the Reapers - revenge against Loki's Champion.  While this is necessary set up, it was definitely nice to see more of the urgent struggle between the Pantheon and the Reapers.  There was definitely more action, more battle scenes, and more suspense that make this book a really quick (and enjoyable) read.

One thing I really liked about this book was the character development.  While there aren't many new characters introduced in this book, a lot of the old characters grow and I liked being able to see other sides to certain characters (Daphne, Morgan, Logan, Nickamedes), instead of their one steady role in Gwen's life.  It made them seem more real and it made Gwen seem more real because she is the one who notices and recognizes their changes.

Something I struggled with in this book was some of the repetition.  In Touch of Frost we (and Gwen) are introduced to the First Chaos War, Loki, the Reapers of Chaos, the Pantheon, Gwen's Gypsy power, and other such things that were clearly part of the developing plot of the book.  A lot of this information is summarized/restated via Gwen's inner dialogue in Kiss of Frost, and while this felt a bit repetitive, I also thought it was a bit necessary to make sure the concept from Touch of Frost was fully understood and carried over.  However, this is the third book of the series and I didn't need the summary of all of these things and the danger Loki's release poses to the world.  I will admit that I skimmed over this part of the book because I felt like I was reading something I had already read.  Thankfully the summary part is towards the beginning of the book, so I was able to get into the new action rather quickly.

Why I Picked Up This Book

I can honestly say that I am addicted to this series, and I can't wait to see what happens to Gwen next!

Genres: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Romance, Mythology

My Rating: Five Stars




Interested in other books by Jennifer Estep?  Check here to read my reviews of other books from this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment