Sunday, February 24, 2013

STAR OF DAVID by Patricia Briggs

Title: "Star of David"

Anthology: Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
Series: Mercy's World
Author: Patricia Briggs


Summary

David is a lone wolf and a mercenary. Though it has been a long time since he learned to control his wolf, time cannot undo the unfortunate events of his first shift, which left his wife and her lover dead and his daughter forever fearful of his monstrous side.

When his daughter, Stella, calls asking for his help, he can't pass up the chance of connecting with his daughter. But when the help she needs involves other monsters, David will have to choose who to protect his daughter from: the monster out to get her, or the monster he becomes.

My Impression

Overall, I thought this story was okay.

On the one hand, I liked reading about a werewolf who is not part of a pack, since the other werewolves in the Mercyverse are all members of packs.  I also felt a connection to this particular character because he appears in Moon Called, and is an old war buddy of Adam Hauptman. The plot was also different because instead of being about a romantic relationship (like all of the other books/stories in the Mercyverse), this story was about family.

However, the one thing I didn't like about this story was the ending.  I felt that it was too abrupt and that it was unrealistic given the past between David and Stella. (I won't go in to details because I don't want to spoil anything.)

Why I Picked Up This Book

I love Patricia Briggs, and I wanted to read every part of her Mercyverse.

Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: Three Stars




Interested in other books by Patricia Briggs?  Check here to read my reviews of other books from this series.



No comments:

Post a Comment