Tuesday, March 5, 2013

IN RED, WITH PEARLS by Patricia Briggs

Title: "In Red, With Pearls"
Anthology: Down These Strange Streets
Series: Mercy's World
Author: Patricia Briggs


Summary

Warren, the third in  the Columbia Basin Pack, works as a bodyguard and investigator for the clients of his human mate, Kyle Brooks.  Kyle is a divorce lawyer, and though he is good at deceiving his opponents, his clients and sometimes their kids are in need of protection, which is one thing that werewolves are particularly good at.

But one night, a client comes to speak with Kyle.  Thankfully, Warren can tell immediately that she is not all she seems.  Soon, with the help of Nadia, the niece of the pack's witch, Warren sets out to figure out who would be able to create a zombie, and who wants Kyle dead.

My Impression

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with this short story.  I really love Warren and Kyle, so I couldn't wait to read a short story about them.  This story wasn't really about them, though.  While they were definitely the main characters, the story was most concerned with trying to figure out who wanted to kill Kyle; there wasn't much about their relationship, other than Warren has to protect Kyle and he is afraid that one day his methods might drive him away.

I also thought there were a few hasty jumps made in the story. While Warren was able to figure out who was behind the entire assassination attempt, I found it hard to connect the dots, and I wasn't able to really follow his train of thought until he had already uncovered the bad guys.  It felt too rushed, and I found myself being distanced from the situation because I couldn't follow along as Warren played investigator.

Why I Picked Up This Book

I really love Warren's character, and I was excited to see more about his relationship with Kyle.

Genre: Urban Fantasy, Romance
My Rating: Three Stars





Interested in other books by Patricia Briggs?  Check here to read my reviews of other books from this series.



No comments:

Post a Comment